Monday, August 1, 2011

I can make bread??

And not just bread, good bread! Like even my toddler loved it, and toddlers are the true-est of all taste testers. I just always assumed to make bread you need a bread machine and a bread pan. A bread pan will definitely come in handy in the future if I want to make sliced bread, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. I just figured out I can make any bread. The other thing I could have used was a stand mixer, something I hear that I need, over and over again. But what the bread machine or stand mixer can do in 2 minutes, I can do in 7 minutes of hand-kneading.
I used the recipe shown here from the dana-made-it blog. And if you go there, and start scrolling down, dreading all the complicated looking steps, fear not! Its really mostly how to braid and letting the bread rise.
*little side note* before you start realize that if you use regular yeast, you must give yourself enough time to let the yeast rise, It's kinda like, you complete the recipe, throw it somewhere to rise and bake it later. So don't make the same mistake I did and start it at 8 at night.

Shown below is the exact recipe except I used half white/half wheat flour, and I also did my own "veggie loaf" which actually came out amazing, just just have to add more flour to get the right consistency (doughy and stretchy, not sticky). For my loaf I used finely chopped red peppers, tomatoes and Hungarian peppers left over from our juicer, it gave the bread a full flavor which I made garlic bread out of.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so pretty! Also, delicious. I will definitely be making that. I really want to try it... now tho.

    ReplyDelete