Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Photog Mama

Ok, I am not going to pretend that I know what I am doing with a camera. I never took any classes, and I don't have any fancy equipment. Shaunna definitely has more experience and skill than I. What I would like to talk about are some pointers for the regular non-skilled photo taking mama. In my experience these have been the most helpful things....

1) Lighting. Almost always try to utilize natural light. A flash on a point and shoot camera will always lack something. It washes out skin-tone and leaves red-eye often times. I will even take pictures in the bathroom if the sun is shining in the window! Nobody can tell but your pictures will look amazing.


2) Textures. Mess around with different textures (and patterns) in your pictures. Notice the baby blanket against the grass leaves a pleasing effect.

3) Try a different angle. You don't always need to capture the entire person or object in the picture. Take some shots from all different directions until you find what looks best.


4) Take a lot. I have a regular point and shoot. Not all the pictures are winners. Just keeping snapping shots until you get one you like, you can always delete any fails. A personal preference of mine is also to remove any time stamp, I feel like it detracts from the photo.

Anyway, those are my tips for the day! Happy picture taking!

1 comment:

  1. I just got the book Mammarazzi from the library on how to take great kids pics too!

    Great tips!

    ReplyDelete